Sunday 12 September 2010

I took my sister to work last night, it was for someone in a wheelchair and as usual I was waiting in the car when I saw a man get out of a mini bus in a wheelchair. I opened my window and was talking to another man who then invited me in so I thought 'why not?' and he took my chair out of the boot and reassembled it and in we went. I went straight to the room where my sister was getting changed and when she went out to do her thing I sat by the door and watched. There were a few people in wheelchairs, some were definitely quads but not sure if some were paras or recovered quads. One of the men asked if I did any wheelchair sport and I swiftly informed him I do not do sport, I have never done sport and I am certainly not interested in wheelchair sport. It seemed like I was expected to all of a sudden change who I am and enter the Paralympics because I am in a wheelchair. One man even kept on and on about me joining their wheelchair rugby team. I got a bit pissed off and asked him if he wanted to do a sport because he can walk. As he kept on so did I saying 'why don't you do archery, you could compete in the Olympics? I need an archer'. You would've thought someone so involved with disabled people would know better than to assume ALL wheelchair people should do a sport. In that case I assume all people who can walk should do a sport.

On the way home I had cold legs so I turned the heating on in my car and set the blowers onto my feet and legs. They soon warmed up, little did I know maybe too warm and when I got home and took my shoes off my right foot was red! I cooled it down as much as I could but I could see a slight blister forming on my toe next to the big toe. Today it is less red but blotchy and I have a few small blisters and the blister that was forming is much bigger. I am always so careful, feel like a bit of an ass now!

I have a magazine coming over in an hour to take pictures for my skydive promotion exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment